Instructor: Harlan Bengtson
Credit Hours: 3.00
Add to Basket
Return to Course Listing
This course is intended primarily for civil engineers, mechanical engineers, chemical engineers, and environmental engineers. After completing this course you will be able to make calculations with the Darcy Weisbach equation and the Moody friction factor equations to calculate several different unknown pipe flow parameters when sufficient input data is provided. You will also be prepared to use Excel spreadsheets to efficiently make the calculations.
Upon successful completion of this course, the participant will be able to:
- Calculate the Reynolds number for pipe flow with specified flow conditions
- Determine whether a specified pipe flow is laminar or turbulent flow for specified flow conditions
- Calculate the entrance length for pipe flow with specified flow conditions
- Determine a value for the Moody friction factor using the Moody diagram for given Re and epsilon/D
- Calculate a value for the Moody friction factor for specified Re and epsilon/D, using the appropriate equation for f
- Calculate the frictional head loss and frictional pressure drop for a given flow rate of a specified fluid through a pipe with known diameter, length and roughness using the Darcy Weisbach and Moody friction factor equations
- Calculate the required diameter for a given flow rate of a specified fluid through a pipe with known length and roughness, with specified allowable head loss using the Darcy Weisbach and Moody friction factor equations
- Calculate the fluid flow rate through a pipe with known diameter, length and roughness, with specified frictional head loss using the Darcy Weisbach and Moody friction factor equations
Dr. Bengtson is a graduate of Iowa State University with B.S. and M.S. degrees and of the University of Colorado with a PhD. He is a licensed Professional Engineer in Missouri. He has spent 30 years in engineering education in teaching and administrative positions, including six years as Dean of Engineering at Southern Illinois University Edwardsville. His areas of expertise are environmental engineering, hydrology and hydraulics, engineering science and renewable energy systems. He did consulting work while holding the academic positions. Prior to entering academia, Dr. Bengtson worked for Minnesota Mining & Manufacturing as a Product Development Engineer and for E. I. duPont deNemours as a Process Development Engineer. Dr. Bengtson has authored numerous publications, presentations and technical reports. He is currently active in providing continuing education opportunities for Professional Engineers and is the founder of www.engineeringexceltemplates.com and www.EngineeringExcelSpreadsheets.com, sites with the objective of providing inexpensive, easy to use Excel spreadsheets for a variety of engineering calculations.